Margery Kashman has been a proud professional member of IECA since 2014. The professional membership category of IECA is for independent educational consultants who have demonstrated a professional mastery with years of experience.
IECA Principles of Good Practice:
IECA has developed a strict set of ethical guidelines that govern the actions of consultants in their relationships with students and families, schools and colleges, and with colleagues. These include a responsibility to understand each student’s special strengths, values and needs, while striving to include all family members in the educational planning process. An IECA member does not accept any compensation from educational institutions for placement of a child. All IECA members subscribe to the Principles of Good Practice and all IECA members are required to annually sign and follow the principles as part of their Association membership in good standing.
Professional membership requirements include:
- Three years of experience in educational placement counseling or admissions, including a minimum of one year of independent educational consulting.
- A master’s degree or higher in a relevant field, or a combination of training and experience that demonstrates a mastery of the profession.
- Minimum number of students advised (during the previous 5 years) on school, college, or program admission (Either 35 students advised in private practice or 50 students advised: a minimum of 10 students advised in private practice; the balance personally advised as a counselor or admission professional).
- A minimum number of evaluative campus visits during the previous 5 years within each specialty area (only specialties you choose for yourself apply): Boarding/Day Schools: 25 visits; College: 50 visits; Graduate & Professional School:* 25 visits; LD Schools/Programs:* 25 visits; Therapeutic Programs:* 50 visits. (*A supplemental application form is required for these specialty designations)
- Three professional references: Suggestions for references include college or independent school admissions officers, psychologists/counselors, other educational counseling professional with whom applicant has worked in the application process, an IECA member, client family. (References should not be relatives of the applicant.)