Although the submission of college applications may seem as much fun as ordering concert tickets online, there are many pitfalls! This year in particular, we have seen several errors that range from puzzling to critical. Here are several of the most “common” issues that we observed as we proofread the Common Apps that our clients were about to send:
1. National Honor Society membership is considered a school honor, not a national honor.
2. Honors achieved in elementary school and middle school do not belong on the application.
3. Your list of activities should not be a random or chronological list: The list should be in the order of importance to you!
4. The word and character limits are real.
5. When you are asked about your proficiency in a language, you do not have to be fluent! (“First language, read, speak, write, and spoken at home”)
And there are so many more.
Suggestion: Have a professional review your application. College Essay Whiz is “fluent” in the process!