1. Which essay question should I answer? Before you decide on the question that you wish to answer, be sure to think about what you will write in the following sections:
- The Additional Information section on the Common App
- Any supplementary essay questions
2. What story do I want to tell in response to the essay question?
3. Will my essay help the admissions officer learn important and helpful things about how I feel and think, what I’ve experienced, what I value, and who I am?
4. What is the best tone to use for this essay? (Serious, thoughtful, humorous, etc.)
5. Does my “lead” paragraph capture the interest of the reader?
6. What details are important?
7. What should be included in the development?
8. How should I conclude?
9. Have I given the essay to a reliable person for proofreading? Have I made all technical corrections, being certain that I have answered the question and adhered to the word or character length?
10. Am I happy with the final version of this essay?